Views from a paintball cynic

Saturday, September 08, 2007

What newbies want.

In the last few times I've played, I've seen a lot of new players at the fields. And on one hand, that's cool. On the other, it's more than a little annoying. A lot of opportunity is lost because I am forced to hesitate and check if the guy opposite of me is wearing his goggles before I pull the trigger. Don't laugh. I've already saved 4 people from going blind this year by having basic trigger control.

But one thing I've noticed, and this is across the board here. New guys all have a few things in common. So I thought I'd share them with you all, and hopefully make some kind of understanding between the guys who have a clue, and those who are clueless.

First of all, a lot of the new players are weaned on "1st person shooters", so they're expecting a bolt rifle at worst, a laser gun at best. They expect to run around the map and just "pwn" everyone. Either that or this is a fantasy camp for them. They want to put their "gat" to their hip, and one-handed shoot it and mow down the opfor. Just like Rambo did, or like in every "gang fight" on TV.

Speaking of gats, they want one of two paintguns. They want the "automatic" that shoots 700 rounds a minute and hits harder than anyone else's and can shoot through walls. Or they want the "sniper gun" that can pick a guy off at 300 yards, which is actually 250 yards longer than the field of play they're on. But whatever you give them, they don't want to really get hit a lot by anyone else. Even though they want to shoot the snot out of everyone else, they don't want it back at them.

The goggles are ALWAYS uncomfortable. "Do we really need these?" is a common complaint. Even after multiple warnings, they still won't keep them on. Why? Well my theories are varied, but it comes down to two things. One is that since they don't think they'll get shot in the face because they're so naturally good, they see little need for a face mask. Second is that when they do get shot in the face, they figure nobody will shoot at them anymore and so they're safe to take the goggles off.

When they want gear, they want a "Bag of bullets". Get over this fact, they're newbies. They also have nothing else to play the game, so they're gonna look for rental coveralls, buy a pair of gloves that really won't protect them from more than a mosquito bite, and probably try to scam a pod pack out of somewhere when they realize that 200 bullets does not equal 200 kills.

On the field, they're gonna be Rambo. At least until they start getting shot at and they get that "rabbit in the headlights" look. The ones who've had some combat training will do the smart thing, get behind cover. The rest will do what they've seen in the movies, if they even think about it. This is assuming, naturally, they don't cower behind the first big bunker they can find, set out the firewood and camp.

You've seen it all before, you know what these guys are like. But this isn't just about poking fun at them, because just remember Ollie Lang was a newbie once too. No, this is about how you deal with them. And what you do can actually have a lot of impact on what kind of a day they have, and if they come back.

Taking a little time to coach a new guy is really easy. Even if it's just good advice or a quick plan of attack. "Ok, see that bunker there? Get to it off the start and shoot that way. I'll cover ya." You've just given them a plan, and they'll really enjoy themselves once they see you've put them into a place to shoot a lot of people. OR just a minute long shooting lesson can go a LONG way to improving their day. Even just telling them that they can't 1-hand a gun while running sideways and expect to hit anything can help!

Saying that, there comes a time when you have to realize when you're wasting your time. Some new guys are strong-headed, and they absolutely have to learn things the hard way. In those cases, I just tend to go do my own thing, and try not to get caught in the fallout of their learning curve. I can recall one field I played at where my teammates plan was to "hang back". They never saw any action all night, because that's what the other team did too. I ended up being the only one actually making moves up the field.

Then again, my "Teammates" were a boyfriend/girlfriend, and they wanted to hang back and sit in a bunker together on a darkened field. All I can say is that as long as they were wearing protective gear, I really don't care what they were doing.

numly esn 33478-070908-251915-40

© 2007 All Rights Reserved.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Good stuff! Definitely true about the impact that you can have on the day of the people you're playing with.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:50:00 PM  

  • You should also explain the "surrender" rule to new players. At Stalingrad 3 at CPX I took position in a ditch about 10 feet from the back of "Post Office" in Bedlam. The whole back is netting, so the guys inside are WELL aware that I am lying there with my gun trained on the door. in fact they were talking about me at length. No one was coming out that door.

    I thought.

    Then I hear buddy number 1 say to buddy number 2, "stay here, I am going to go get him." I thought I was hallucinating. But sure enough, he walks up to the door (and I can clearly see him because there is nothing between us but netting) and proceeds to "jump" out, saying "Surrender!". In the time it took him to begin to swing around the door frame and say "Su..." he was gogged. Then he began to yell and scream that I HAD to surrender because he had told me too. He was pretty mad, but his buddy explained to him that I didn't HAVE to do anything.

    Had he snuck up behind me and offered the surrender option, I would have taken it. Had he caught me from above and offered the option, I would have taken it. But no way is he going to tell me he is coming, then step in front of me and demand my surrender. I think I disabused him of his misunderstanding, but I would hate to see another new player try a stunt like that because they didn't understand the rules.

    Spartan -Heretics

    By Blogger Spartan, at Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:58:00 PM  

  • oh man, the "surrender" rule.

    at burwash 07 (the annual trip me and my buddies make to a huge abandoned prison building in northern ontario) me, my cousin, and about 8 other guys were walking down a narrow hallway. one of the last players on the other team was behind a door at the end of the hallway. so my cousin opens the door and the other guy yells "surrender!". then my cousin says "alright get out of here".

    but apparently the other guy figured WE were all supposed to surrender, or atleast the guy in front, cause he called it. when he said so my cousin just stares at him and says " are you freaking kidding me!? theres 9 guys behind me, all pionting guns at you and ive got my pistol pointed at your face!"

    we argued for about 30 second, then the guy figured it out and called himself out. then the last guy on their team who was hidden behind the next door opened up on us, got 3 of us(myself included, that jerk...) and then my cousin got him.

    we'll be figuring out the rules better for our next trip (especially about velocity limits , i've got scars from the first trip...)

    By Blogger Turbolen, at Friday, September 21, 2007 6:59:00 PM  

  • Tyger,

    Much as I respect your works (that I have so recently come across), and usually agree with you, in this instance, I have to disagree. As a newer player (not counting the one or two experiences with painball in the mid to late 90's)I take some offense to the "New guys all have a few things in common" mentality you preach in this post. For instance, supposedly, all noobs want automatic "Uzis" Or super "sn1p0rz" comment. While I'm sure those features are nice, and wouldn't mind a hardware upgrade myself, I have no problem playing with the same BE Stingray II I used in '97. Yeah, it's probably the loudest, slowest, least accurate marker on the feild, but when you work a job most of the time, you'll play with what you have and be happy for the chance. And I don't recall ever purchasing or even asking for a "bag of bullets". "500 rounds of Blaze" maybe. In no game I've played, have I ever "Rambo" charged. I've been nailed out of cover a few times before I got the, "Hey, don't stand in the trail" idea down. I have rushed, but usually just to the next peice of decent cover so I'm not hanging out in the wind. That might only be me, I have a bit of a dislike of being shot out for doing something stupid. As for the goggles, I find they hold my glasses in place when I play or run to the dead box, so they stay on unless they need cleaning (and that's only off the feild). While some of the younger players who lurk the forums and see top of the line gear in every other thread want the cool gear they see, that's unavoidable. But to say "New guys all have a few things in common." is stating an absolute. I find absolutes rarely are fact. I undestand it may be common, but as an absolute, I respectfully disagree with your statement. However, I enjoy your rants, so keep them coming, I learn something new every time. And they're usually good for a laugh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:47:00 PM  

  • I love playing with noobs as they make me look better XD

    By Anonymous Pbreview, at Friday, April 12, 2019 7:14:00 PM  

  • Well said my Rob Tyger.

    By Anonymous Paintball, at Monday, May 30, 2022 11:58:00 PM  

  • Are you seeking the most excellent bb airsoft pistol that will allow you to save the day while also allowing you to play at your highest level
    Well! You've arrived in the correct location. Having the best bb airsoft pistol gives you a significant edge when playing; therefore, an airsoft pistol is essential if you want to defend yourself. paintball pistol

    By Blogger runchet, at Tuesday, June 07, 2022 5:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home