Views from a paintball cynic

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Paintball in "Video Game Mode"

Just an observation.

I was playing a game on my PS2 recently, and an old memory was jogged in my brain. See, it's one of those "adventure" games where your character builds up as the game progresses. The moves you have don't really change, but you can stock up on more powerful weapons as the game progresses. You can't beat the bad guy at the end unless you buy "more powerful" weapons than you start with.

And I remembered a comment a friend of mine said to me almost ten years ago at a speedball event. He hadn't played paintball, but he lived near the event and wanted to check it out. We sat in the audience and I told him about what was going on. He looked at the colorful arena, the colored jerseys and all that, and he said to me "So this is basically a real-life video game, isn't it?"

At the time, it was. But now, it's even more so. The game has geared itself to believing that you can simply buy an upgrade to your gun and you suddenly become better. As if you buy an upgrade, are bathed in an explosion of light, and your now a "level 5 paintball player". This is nothing new, I mean I can dive into the "magazine pile" and find ads from the early 90's promising that "our gun will make you a better player" or "our barrel will make you a more accurate shooter".

But it dawned on me that the game is geared at "selling you skill" rather than teaching you skills. Instead of selling you a gun because the construction is better, the thing is touted as "SHOOTS MORE PAINT! YOU NEED TO SHOOT MORE PAINT! MORE PAINT MAKES YOU A BETTER PLAYER!!!!" Look folks, I put down an E-Mag to shoot a Tippmann A-5, and there's very little difference in my play style or takedown numbers. Is it because the Tippmann is that good, or the E-mag is that bad? NO! It's because I took a lot of time to practice, learn, and hone the core skills of the game.

Paintball seems to be stuck in this mentality that you can buy your way to be the best. "You can buy a "powerful" gun and beat the other guys!" Sounds stupid, doesn't it? Now replace "powerful" with "faster" or "higher ROF" or "lighter", and you have a typical conversation at a field. And the players buy into this mentality. We want to go to the store, buy $1500 of paintball skill, and go "pwn people!" We want paintball to be as simple as a video game. We want the cheat code to win. We want to get to the "best level" without having to spend a lot of time getting there.

Let me hit you with what I see as the truth of things. The gun does not make the player. If you suck with a Spyder you're going to suck with a DM, except you'll have less money later in the week due to your paint bill. More paint in the air does not mean you're a better player, it means you're putting more paint in the air. Skill isn't something you can buy from a website or a local dealer. You have to get them the same way people have become skilled in sports for thousands of years. You need to practice. Do you think gladiators in Rome bought a cool sword and became great? Lemme answer that for you. No.

But can technology and ROF help enhance skills? Yes and no. If you have the skills to begin with, and you know how to use the technology effectively, then yes it can. If you guy a lighter gun, or something more ergonomic and comfortable, or you put on a mod to get more air efficiency, then it can help. If it's a new toy, and you don't know how to use it, then you need to relearn. And you do that through practice, not buying more "upgrades" for the "upgrade" you already bought. If you rely on technology and ROF too much, and you don't build your skills, you will get burned in the end when your technology runs dry.

Video games are a good fantasy world. They let us do things that, normally, we can't do. Last time I checked I'm not about to get into a spaceship and blast away at aliens or play golf with Tiger Woods. But paintball is reality. You want to get good here, you need to do something called "learning". It takes time, and no amount of money will accelerate that process. You can buy things to help your game, but you can't buy anything to play the game for you. You need to learn, and spending money isn't learning. Too many people buy a "gun of the month", keep on tinkering with it, and complain that "This gun sucks!" Well, of course it does. You're not having any kind of consistency with your gear. You keep modifying the stuff you're playing with and expect it to be working the same?

So what works? Buy a quality bit of gear, something you'll be using for 1-2 years. Play with it to find out what you want to change, change those things, then never, EVER, tweak it radically unless you have to. (like having a back bolt shatter on you or your barrel becomes so fouled up that strapped to a bench it's shooting a cone of paint 20 feet in diameter, that counts as a good reason to change those...) Then go play. Learn the game, learn how to move, learn how the mechanics work. Learn fieldcraft, learn communication, learn shooting techniques, learn effective shooting. After 1-2 years of working on your skills, then look at a new gun. You may be surprised that you're still happy with what you have. You don't need a "gun of the month" as a crutch when you have skill.

Just an observation.

numly esn 28824-061121-205376-99 Rate content:

© 2006 All Rights Reserved.

11 Comments:

  • It's been a while Tyger...glad to see you're back!

    That's a very interesting analogy, between paintball and video games, and the best part is, you're right. Have you seen the Smart Parts Epiphany commercials being shown during the SP "World Championships"? They show exactly what you're pointing out. Except they go a step further, and admit that paintball is no longer a, "sport of honor." It seems SP is hearing what you're saying, and better yet they're agreeing with you...

    ...unfortunately, all they're doing about it souping up their Ions into Epiphanies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:40:00 PM  

  • Why would they do anything about it? They're part of the problem. They sell guns with the concept that "if you use OUR guns, you're going to be a better player!" That's been the sales model since I can remember. I should go find the ads where they say that their "rifled barrel" won the Masters, not the 15 guys on the field.

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:40:00 AM  

  • Mhm...cause we all know that rifled barrels are infinitesimally more accurate than non-rifled barrels. This is why the industry needs more companies like CCI and SpecOps. Companies that actually care about the consumer and don't brainwash them with "skillz for sale!?!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:02:00 AM  

  • ...and AGD, and Palmer's Pursuit, and a few others too. The so-called smaller companies who say "Yeah, we're not about to sell you skill, but we'll sell you a product that you can perform up to your skill levels with." They're not popular because they have a tendancy to tell you the truth, and not sell you a fantasy first.

    There's a reason I like to stick to the companies that I do.

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:06:00 AM  

  • Those reputable companies also have this thing called, now get this, "Customer Service!"

    It's sad how the industry tries to suck in new players to believe their "fantasy", and it's even sadder that their advertising works. Many of my local paintballing friends are die-hard speedballers, and they do consider the new players Tippmann's to be inferior. I think I am the only one out of two dozen who gets the real deal. I try to tell them, and even after I go 23-1 in a day of play, they still don't listen...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:50:00 AM  

  • And this is precisely why I always hated the Game Genie, Game Shark and cheats. It eliminates the point and has trained us to always take the easy way out. Forget building skill, I can use God Mode!

    Do what you want when you play your video game on your tv by yourself. But the moment you go online or step into the reality of paintball with that attitude it becomes a childish and selfish concern with only your own enjoyment. Who cares if they're having fun! I Got to mow his face with my 1337 new marker!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:07:00 PM  

  • 1st year I played with a bushmaster SI, next year with a 98, and then switched to my PPS stroker 10-shot spring feed pistol and have never been able to change. I learned the majority of my skills year 1 and year 3-4. You could say this is a prime example of your point tyger,

    "You don't need a "gun of the month" as a crutch when you have skill."

    or paraphrasing it, the gun doesn't matter, your skill does, and you can learn on whatever. I strongly disagree though.

    I can't play pistol only with a PT extreme or tiberus 8 and 1/2 or whatever. I can't deal with inconsistant shots. I can't play with Co2, the little puff of gas dicks me up for some reason. I can't play with a hopper, period. Q-loader... sorta can.

    If I wasn't playing with a pistol that costs more than, well it's PPS it costs a lot, than I wouldn't have been able to learn or play for more than a few minutes. Look at the gun I started with, a majorly 'upped' SI. Wouldn't have been able to learn on a tracer, maverick, or whatever.

    I dunno about the A-5, never shot one. I do own a m98 from forever ago though and I can say it's variance, when I bought it and espicially now, is wicked high. Espicially with a stock barrle. Without a new barrle on that thing your going to suck. Playing straight up snap shots with a player of equal skill whos shooting, say, the most awesome pistol ever, your going to suck with that POS.

    I agree with you on the super high bps thing whole heartidly. I agree with you on the lighter gun thing, the gimmics, etc. I don't agree on accuracy. If your gun is inaccurate, you'll lose every time (or the majority) you face a player of equal skill.

    As for bps, we're talking the lower range, yea being able to pump out 10 v. 5 (true bps) is a big advantage on every level. If your gun shoots a minimum, like your A5 (what, around 9ish?) and my stroker (7ish) then the whole higher bps thing really starts not applying.
    On the top levels (ameture, pro) it starts counting for a bit more. Not a lot, a bit. Or, if you simply KNOW how to use higher bps. It's obviously easier to snap shoot. It's easier to cover multiple little parts of a bunker. I can snap on some D3 kid with his ramp gun easily if he's just focusing on one area, or is shooting a predictable pattern.

    There is some (note: some) truth to the statement,

    "The game has geared itself to believing that you can simply buy an upgrade to your gun and you suddenly become better"

    because it's true. Even a complete newb 1st timmer will play better if the rental pro-carbine (well mainly 98's now I guess) has an upgraded barrle. I know it's true because I used to tote the same line as you until one day a guy went "oh yea, then play a game with this PT" and I did, and I sucked. It wasn't adjusting to the gun, it was the fact the gun just sucked.

    Is it over emphasiszed in the game? Yea, it certainly is. But so is your arguement, and your not even giving it for financial gain.

    The Ten-Shot Kid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:50:00 AM  

  • Heh, that hit close to home.

    I remember a couple years ago, when i had a tippmann that i thought was okay, but just not good enough. Then i started checking out some guns and saw a Bushmaster with eyes. Ended up buying it, an HPA tank, a halo, a big pack, lots of pods and lots of paint! Only to wind up discouraged a few months later when i wasn't getting any more eliminations that i used to, and was actually spending ALOT more money on paint and air.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:54:00 PM  

  • tyger I take it back. I just got off a year break and this last weekend experienced what you where saying. It's worse than it used to be. Some kid ref was telling three guys with, at most 3 year old angels, they needed new guns. It's ridiculous.

    The 10-shot kid

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:48:00 AM  

  • this is a good analogy between real games and video games. oh yeah i just remember the first paintball marker i bought it is a Tippmann 98 custom. i thought a good gun will make me good for playing... nah i still suck playing paintball need more practice...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:44:00 AM  

  • you know it's odd, when I play video games I like to use cheat codes but when I play paintball I don't pick up my impuls or 98RT I grab a stock class phantom or my longbow... Heck I played for 2 years with nothing but a PT extreame (oh and 10 shot kid it realy is about getting used to the hook that the gun puts on the balls it's consistantly bad but it's alwase bad the same way) for some reason I try to make paintball harder and video games easier... don't know why though. Now do I get more kills with the Impuls then with the phantom?? probably but not much and that's realy about just tossing more paint at the guys WAY on the other side of the field. To be perfectly honist I probably got more kills with a pair of zues's then anything else I have ever used. The super duper electro blaster of the week realy won't help make you better just poorer. play with whats more fun.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, April 30, 2007 2:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home