Views from a paintball cynic

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Counting Coup

Played indoor last night, had a grand 'ol time. But on the way home I had a thought. I'd go play with a coup stick if I thought the fields would let me.

Let me explain. The "Coup Stick" (pronounced "coo", BTW) is a straight stick, usually painted and ornamented. It's not very heavy, and it'd probably break if you tried to use it as a real self-defense weapon. The Souix tribe (and many other High Plains tribes) would use them as a way to gauge the bravery of the warriors. Killing an enemy from long range away? No coup. Going in with 2-1 odds and winning, no coup. Being the 1 in the 2-1 fight, coup. Charging headlong into a fight, and tapping someone with your coup stick then coming out without a scratch, major coup. It's a point of saying how much more skilled you are than your opponent, that you nudged them with a stick and let them live with that knowledge.

The Coup sticks were decorated, and each thing meant something. A feather meant you were the first to reach and touch an enemy. Various symbols meant different things, and you had to earn them all. And all of them were literal badges of honor.

So, to the point, right.

Last night I asked a player to surrender. Three times as he didn't hear me the first two. He was so lost in the "shoot shoot shoot" haze it never even registered that there was a guy 5 feet from him to his flank. I ended up shooting him because he looked like he was going to spin and try to shoot, but it's got me thinking. If I had faith in my teammates not to shoot me, I would have barrel tagged this guy. On a speedball field. The ref was completely blown away to begin with, as he said I was the SECOND person he'd ever seen ask for a surrender, ever. If I barrel tagged this guy, I wonder what he would have done.

I've seen a lot of players who are skilled at gunfighting but have no clue how to move up. They're content to sit in their bunkers, far away from the action, and throw volleys of paint downrange that's all but ineffective. They may rack up eliminations, sure, but I could build a robot to do the same thing they do and get the same "kill count". But they lack the stones, the guts, whatever you want to call it they just won't move up unless they know that they way is clear and easy.

Even last night, I saw a few great moves that required the cojones to walk up the middle of the field. If you did the right combination, the other team simply didn't see you coming up on them. I even told the other players, on both teams, of the move. They wouldn't do it. They wanted to make the first and easiest position they could, and at the longest range possible throw paint rather than keep moving up the field.

What happened to the bravery? What happened to the players who would take risks and try stupid things because they work in moderation? I believe the industry has done the game a disservice. By focusing on rates of fire and keeping players "in" they took the emphasis off of making moves. The events are designed to reward camping your first spot and shooting paint at 15/second. Some tournaments take points from your team if you get shot (from the 2007 NPPL scoring rules : 3 points per eliminated opponent, 1 point for every player on your team still in, 32 for first flag pull, 40 for a hang. 100 points total), so the message is to hang back and lob paint, and hope you get lucky.

All of this has trained players to simply throw paint, and doesn't reward any kind of gutsy move. It actually punishes players for making moves up the field, as the risk/reward is tipped to the "risk" side. Sure, you may get up the field, but if you don't your team is punished by a loss of points. You can argue that there's still gutsy plays to be had mid-game, but a lot of these players play the scoreboard, not the field. If you know your team needs a max, and you see an opening, you're probably not going to take it for fear of not qualifying by a point. And I've seen it happen too many times to count.

This mentality trickles down to to rec level, and players perceive that risk taking is bad. "I want to stay in! I want to be good!" The overwhelming attitude I get is that the win isn't as important as simply staying in the game longer. A lot of players could be so good if they just grew a pair and stopped playing the points! Last night, I watched players do long-range gunfights that frustrated me to no end simply because they could have won them if they just moved! I wanted to just shake some of these people and scream at them "Get out of that lame bunker, take a risk, and make something happen!" But they just didn't have it in them.

So I want to see if people will pick up the idea and run with it. I want to adapt counting coup for paintball. It's not just about making the killer move, it's about taking the risks and coming away without a scratch. It's not just "shooting faces", it's doing so in a way that other people stop playing and just stare in awe. It's not glory-hounding, it's displaying what you really can do. Is it egotistical or "in yer face" or inflammatory? Sure. Any time that you rub someone's nose in the fact that you're better they're not going to be happy. But it's time to bring back the bravery. It's time to get the game to collectively "grow a pair".

Part of counting coups is to tell the story of how it happened, or have the story told for you. We already do this with the brigade, stuff we post on here and videos that we either shoot ourselves or have a buddy shoot for us. As it's been said, "it aint bragging if you really did it". But the thing is that you really HAVE to do it, and have witnesses to the fact to back you up.

But I want to bring the coup stick to paintball. Ok sure, it's not "safe" to poke someone with a stick, and not everyone can be trusted with a blunt object on a paintball field, but I think that it'd be a start to making paintball interesting again. Reward people who take chances, give people a chance to actually act like athletes, not robots that just sling balls.

Paintball is a unique sport, it's the only one that I know of where the objective is to take opponents out of the game. What's to say we can't do it with style as well?

numly esn 54030-070301-457436-24 Rate content:

© 2007 All Rights Reserved.

18 Comments:

  • So far as the tourney scene goes, here's an idea: change up the scoring so that the longer it takes for you to win the game, the less you score. Say, 20 points for first pull, 20 points total for eliminations, then 6 points for every minute left on the clock when you hang the flag.

    It's sad that you'd have to change up the scoring structure to make players grow a pair, but maybe a change like that would bring some daring out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 02, 2007 12:16:00 AM  

  • Just to add I think it's fair to say the 'new' sup' air bunkers are far easier to camp in than the old hyperball ones. Much safer to lane from because you can push the bunker in with your barrle for a much smaller profile.

    10-shot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 02, 2007 1:50:00 AM  

  • Actually, I like rick's idea. But here's my modification:

    -40 points for first flag pull
    -15 points for each minute left on the clock when you hang the flag
    -5 bonus points for each opposing player left in play when your team hangs the flag (ZING!!! how embarrassing...)

    Now, will any league even consider that...no. If I hold a local tourney though...you may have just sparked a new set of rules...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 02, 2007 2:33:00 AM  

  • Heh, not a bad idea really. If the field won't let you use a coup stick type device, you could always use a squeegee. Now THAT'll get some looks! "You just eliminated me with a what?!" Heck, some of the guys out here use rubber training knives for barrel tags.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 02, 2007 9:51:00 PM  

  • It is amazing how people that play airball just worry about locking down lanes and shooting what is straight infront of them. They do not try moving, or try to turn the field and get some angles. I have had a local field owner look at me after a rec game and say he wished more players played the field like that.(ie.) moving up and shooting across the field instead of the stragiht ahead. It was nice to get new angles on people. It felt great! To know I was doing some thing different than everyone else.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, March 03, 2007 3:43:00 PM  

  • Great post Rob. One funny anecdote my friend and i like to tell is about a situation w/ speedballers and woodsballers. My Friend and I (both woodsballers) were playing a speedball game w/ a speedball team versus some walkon newbs w/ rentals. At game on, my friend and I rush for the midfield. I promptly get shot in the back of the head (didn't break so i'm still in). I turn around to yell at somebody, and I see that THE ENTIRE GROUP WAS CAMPED AT THE 10. A group of speedballers in "agg gear" and 20+bps guns was shooting at a bunch of walkons from the 10, while my friend and I w/ our a5s were sitting pretty at the 50. It was pretty pathetic. Anyways, after reading this article, i'm planning on literally marking my barrel (well, barrel case) for every barreltag i get, just like the fighter pilots of old. Not quite a coup stick, but its something, lol.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, March 03, 2007 10:06:00 PM  

  • your blogspot is probably the gayest thing i have ever seen. wait, you are a 30 somthing year old guy who spends his weekends hanging out with teenage boys and your nights writing lame recounts of your utterly boring life. its apparent that you suck at life, maybe you should think about just giving up. oh wait, it looks like you already have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:37:00 PM  

  • Interesting to notice, fair viewers, the anonymous coward does not refute what I say, only attacks me. Thereby telling me that he agrees, but has too much pride to actually admit that he agrees.

    Plus you'll notice that this person does not offer up what they do on the weekends, or who they are, so it's very likely that they're simply throwing stones at someone who they see as being "better" than they are.

    Funny, when I tell people "if you don't like what I do, then do better", It seems that nobody ever tries. It's easier to snipe anonymously than to put your balls on the line, isn't it?

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:49:00 PM  

  • whats funny is that you don't refute the fact that you suck at life and that your blogspot is gay and that you hang out with teenagers. as far as weekends are concearned, i can assure you i dont hang out with kids in their early teens or devise ways that i can actually get closer to them with a stick on a paintball field.

    as far as being better than me, the only thing you are better at is being a total computer nerd with no life. do you have any real friends or just your super-duper cool online gaming buddies. i'm sure you were the nred in highschool who got booked in the hallway and picked last. thats probably why you kick it on saturday nights destroying adolscent kids on the paintball field with your superior "tactics" and "skill". or maybe your just a pervert.

    as far as doing better than you, i ask, at what? at blogging to the public about my worthless existence and uneventful life? serioulsy, i checkd out that super cool video of you driving 10 plus hours alone to the east coast to play some seriously kick butt paintball. your life obvioulsy rocks. judging from your high pitched voice and really cool lisp, i'm sure you made good use of those rest stop mens rooms late at night. too bad you couldn't make the trifecta by sneaking up nice and close to an 11 year old with a "stick".

    but seriously, thanks for the background on the coup stick, i bet the chicks really love it when you drop knowledge on them like that! you're such a winner "tyger". seriously, nice name. did one of your online gamer buddies give that to you or did you give it to yourseld. i'm betting that you gave it to youself, you just seem like the kind of "guy" who gies himself a nickname. keep rocking douche bag.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:04:00 PM  

  • Wow, dude I'll bet you're just rolling in friends with an attitude like that. To anonymously try to drag people through the mud isn't "cool", "agg", or "pimp". It's rude, vulgar, and pathetic. Way to be a role model, dude.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 05, 2007 4:57:00 PM  

  • If you hate this blog so much then why sit around for 30 minutes waiting for someone to talk to you? Oh wait I know, you have no friends and crave attention.

    Great post Tyger.

    Steven B

    PS: Sorry for wasting your time with the first paragraph and giving this kid what he wants

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, March 06, 2007 6:50:00 PM  

  • I play speedball and I think it is purely a learned behaviour with respect to how the games are set up. Contrast NPPL scoring to M7 to XBall to woods.
    You will see increased movement in as you go along the list.
    So what is changing?
    The scoring system.
    Flat out NPPL scoring discourages risks and body trades as if they do not work there is potential to loose half the finals.
    Xballesc scoring is focused on results, the flag hang, and any body loss or trades to get to that point is ignored. Do an insane run that does not work? Oh well there is still 30 mins on the clock to get that that point back.
    Interestingly as the clock gets near the end the leading team adopts an NPPL style plan and the trailing team is encouraged to try for moves, as they NEED to break the dominant defence. (Woods is special with respawn, et al., effects)
    Unfortunatly most recreational play (and 'trainings') is set up to be closer to NPPL games, large intermissions between games.
    What is needed is getting players back out fast.
    One of the best fields I played at had a start every 5 mins MAX, and this created the urgency of play and the willingness of players to try things and they would still get good time on the field.
    Trainings that opperate on that mentaility also are more productive (5 points then discuss rather than one point then discuss) as the flow of play is maintained.

    May I suggest a coup stick squiggy or old school super accurate barrell (e.g. Youngblood in your picture archive). That last one has added advntages.

    Steven

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:02:00 AM  

  • Woot hit the nail on the head...

    "To anonymously try to drag people through the mud isn't "cool", "agg", or "pimp". It's rude, vulgar, and pathetic. Way to be a role model, dude."

    To anonymously attack someone, and tell them they have no life, and so on and so forth... is a paradox in of itself. What do you think you're doing yourself idiot?

    Only the stupidest, lameduck immature preteens would in uninformed and time-wasteful enough to say what you just said to Tyger. I hope you take that to heart because one day somebody is going to lay the smackdown on you big time (yes, in real life, and with their fists) if you keep up the bad attitude. What goes around comes around.

    Great blog Rob, I found it educational, me not being north american and all :) And you're so right, people just place too much emphasis on playing it safe and relying on the ole' 15 misses per second.

    I get shot a lot when I play at my field. But I also get more fort captures (we play 'capture the fort') than anybody else because I'm willing to take risks, and thus learn from them.

    I wish more people were as gutsy as me :)

    ~Jimmy
    (The one and only from NZ...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 16, 2007 1:41:00 AM  

  • I notice the same thing in scenario as well. Players too timid to move forward. Usually the young tikes, or new players. And this in a game where you can instantly tag in at a flag station and be back alive.
    Typically its when the team is trying to make a push on a location like a base or mission objective.

    Though, I must admit, in every game I feel the fear as well.
    But what separates me from those others, is that in those moments I do push the fear aside and lowly mutter my battle cry, "Well- I didn't come here to NOT get shot at."

    By Blogger Joe Carpenter, at Monday, March 19, 2007 10:25:00 PM  

  • Rob,
    Obviously this person who decided to post anonymous is either jealous, or has anger issues of some kind. Anyway, don't listen to the naysayers, i always found both this blog, and the webdog videos to be both educational and helpful in plying certain skills that i thought needed development. You do the paintball community a sevice by giving us living examples of the skills we may need on the field. Keep up the good work

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:33:00 PM  

  • Hmm you know this could be interesting, I've never bothered to keep track of how often I've backdoored and bunkered people... From now on I'm going to mark my longbow shroud for every person I barrel tag. I don't see the NPPL or others changing the rules any time soon to discorage sitting at the 10 and blasting away for 4.5 min and then running the flag in the last 30 seconds after everyone has been shot as they would sell less paint if you ran up the field and only used a hopper of paint all game.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, April 30, 2007 1:59:00 AM  

  • I often get surrenders (about once every other time I play). I consider it more skillfull than just shooting them. Friends hate it when I play with a pumpgun as that is when I get sneeky and dangerous. In woodsball games I think nothing of spending 15 minutes tracking one player looking for just the right oppertunity to get right on top of them and call for their surrender.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, June 15, 2007 4:47:00 PM  

  • I have to say Tyger, I fully agree with you. Back in the day when I was younger, wanting to get into paintball, I always watched the games, and those guys were epic. I remember seeing people jump over the bunkers and trying to shoot the guy behind it in mid-air. The funny part is, all of this was with pump guns. I wanted to be just like them.
    Now, after reading this entry, I have to say, I fall into the camper category, and it saddens me. This season, I'm actually gonna try the rushes, dodging the balls, and bunkering people in an epic fashion (best of all, with a phantom I just bought).

    If the point of your blog is to try and change the perspective of paintballers, I'd like to thank, and congratulate you. You changed my perspective on paintball, I just hope I can live up to.

    -Jaaku-

    By Blogger koios, at Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home