Views from a paintball cynic

Monday, July 09, 2007

The new "tourney players"

I've been sitting on this since April. But I think this needs to be said. And I may as well take the hit, heaven knows I've been smacked by everyone else in this industry for talking about the 900 pound elephants they would rather ignore. So hell with it, I'll take the potshots.

I really hate to even have to say this kind of thing, but nobody else has. Scenario paintball has become the new "tourneyball".

It's been coming for a long time, but only after the Blanding game can I really put a voice on it. It's one post among many, and it proves the point more eloquently than anything I can write about. If you don't know, "Blanding" was a game where one team was represented by Special Ops Paintball. The other side by Smart Parts. Smart Parts won the day. But this isn't about that, as much as it's about the post-game attitude.

The post I'm talking about comes from a player on the Smart Parts team. Member name "BoogyMan". Post 175 in the thread, well into the self-congradulations and back-patting / chest thumping. And what's said made my blood cold.

"Well the Roughnecks (the 2 of us that were able to make it) are proud to have been a part of one great Spec Ops butt kickin. Maybe next time the will take it a little more serious."


This stopped me mainly because I've heard this before. Perhaps not in those words, but in that attitude. I hear that from tourney players.

It was inevitable, actually, and I've seen this coming for years. But, like everything else in this "sport", nobody cares until it's too late. When large companies began to sponsor teams, the die was cast. Teams no longer go out to play scenario games for fun, but they play to win. They play to get "MTV" or "MVP" so they can represent sponsors and give "shout outs" after the games and get their sponsor logos in the magazines. It's no longer about playing the game and having fun, it's about "the job" and getting "the job" done.

Scenario "teams" are looking for sponsors, they feel that the industry owes them something now because scenario has "come into its own". It's funny, in a way. They do the same things that they complain about when tournament players do the same. They smack-talk pre-game. They smack-talk post game. They'll push the rules to the breaking point, and play the gray. And it's all about winning, and winning at all costs.

And that's only what I've seen first hand. Post event I hear the same things I heard post-event from tournaments. Game fixing, playing favorites, biased reffing and downright thrown events to ensure someone wins. Then there's the cheating. Yep, I've been told point blank that "Scenario Producer A" is a wiping, cheating SOB when he plays, and "Scenario Producer B" lets him do it because of a political reason. I've also been told that "Scenario Producer C" even uses his status as a producer to get his way at events.

(Why don't I name names? I have no proof. I have "he said / he said". I'm not into rumor-mongering. Sorry, I'm not going to do that.)

Why does this all feel familiar? Oh right, tournaments. Scenario players have become the new tournament players. The clothing is different, but that's about the only thing. The emphasis is on winning, and more often than not winning at all costs. At least that's what it felt like the last time I played a scenario game. And I've heard the same phrase used to describe scenario players as tourney guys. "Off the field he's the nicest guy, but on the field he's such an asshole!"

And what do they win? "respect"? Hey, that really feels familiar to me. Most prizes are random draw. So they're only competing for sponsorship dollars which translates into "respect". Specifically, any recognition that will get their picture in the magazine coverage. And that's "resume material", my friends.

I know what you're thinking. It's just how they want to play. Or "So what, Tyger. You're expecting them to not play at 100%?" No, but there's a way to win with class and a way with crass. The term "stand-up player" is used to describe a lot of people but in the end nobody seems to know what that really means. Tournament paintball has long ago forsaken "Stand Up Play", and that suits the style of the tournament set. They justify that "athletes push the rules all the time" and if it works for them fine. That's their world, and if they want to pretend to be athletes they can do that.

(and before you start to bitch and moan, 90% of so-called "tournament players" wouldn't hack it on a professional team, but damned if they don't carry themselves like they're the hottest thing to hit paintball since water-based paint. Just ask them, but slate out an hour to hear the stories and penis-thumping.)

Scenario paintball used to be the format for people to get away from that attitude. It was the competitive game with no assholes allowed. But more and more, as money is poured into the scenario game, morality becomes the first casualty to profits. Not just from the producers, but the players as well. Once there's perceived value in winning, everyone is going to do what it takes to win.

Do they all do this? No. But enough have to make me sit up and think "I've seen this before." There's shining examples of scenario teams who can be classy. However, as with tournament players, all it takes is one team to put a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. And I can already hear it in 4-5 years. "Scenario play? Fuck that, if I wanna play with cheaters sure, but I'd rather just play with my friends closer to home. I don't wanna spend $300 to get screwed all weekend."

Now, where have I heard that before? Oh, right.

We've seen the cycle play out before. Now I'm just going to wait to see if it plays out again in the same way as tournaments have. Bookmark this post and come back in 2-3 years. If kids are scrambling for a "vintage scenario team jersey" or wearing the latest "padded scenario ballah cap" or talking about using camo neoprene tank covers to induce bouncers in the woods, then you'll get it too. But, by then, it's too late. They're still trying to "clean up" the tourney world, and they've actually forsaken it and said "cheating is going to happen, get used to it."

There comes a point where the insane becomes the routine, and what was once something that caused outrage becomes almost blasé if not quaint. So take a moment to think about that when you talk about your next scenario game. What's more important? Winning or playing? And does your opponents and teammates feel the same way?

numly esn 67281-070709-589943-37 Rate content:

© 2007 All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

  • Dang, thats a real shame. I've never played tourney but I've watched enough videos to see what your talking about. I preferr woodsball and am going to my first Scenario this September (Stalingrad III at Challenge Park). I really hope I don't run into people like that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 09, 2007 2:32:00 PM  

  • To be honest, I hope you don't run into them either. Hopefully, people will sit back and realize what's going on and make moves to stop it now before it becomes "routine".

    But enjoy the game in September!

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Monday, July 09, 2007 3:43:00 PM  

  • Thanks. Are you planning on going too?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 09, 2007 3:48:00 PM  

  • Tyger,

    to be honest with you I was going to write an article about the lack of serious players in scenario paintball but I guess you've shown a different aspect in this article. I hate to see a self proclaimed "serious balla" talking about how awesome they are and how they should get big sponsorship bucks but they don't practice, work out, or study the game. Hell, most of their time is spent on the forums talking about how awesome they are. Yet the energy that should be spent mastering the game is spent on searching for excuses.

    I was shocked the first few times I was in a scenario game and saw people cheating, it blew my mind! The worse thing about it is everyone else catches on too and it leaves a sour taste in everyones mouth. So I agree with you everyone needs to step up and help put the scenario game back on track!

    Bielerga

    By Blogger Bielerga, at Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:37:00 PM  

  • “I really hate to even have to say this kind of thing, but nobody else has. Scenario paintball has become the new ‘tourneyball’.”

    I agree that it is STARTING to become like the new tourney ball but I disagree that it has already. Tourney burned me out hardcore but I think that scenario is still a long long way off from joining the genera.

    “Teams no longer go out to play scenario games for fun, but they play to win.”

    Here is where I disagree. You are implying that if your playing to win, your not playing for fun. You know me, you know that I’ve never been on a “team” persay, group yes (SC marshalls, IPR, SCP) but never a team until this previous western worrs at EMR. The groups I was in, and I know our personally knew a couple of them, always played for fun, but they played to win too. IMHO IPR most notably played wicked hard to win whenever I ran with them.


    As for

    “They smack-talk pre-game. They smack-talk post game.”

    That’s been continually getting worse since what, 2002ish?

    “They'll push the rules to the breaking point, and play the gray. And it's all about winning, and winning at all costs.”

    That’s how scenario is played. It’s a thinking mans game.
    -Can I lie to the guy asking my team?
    -Can I sell fake props to people?
    -Can I pretend I’m injured to distract base security and let my buddy get a general assassination?
    -Can I, as a spy, send kids on missions outside of the playing field within reason in order to take there team players off the field and destroy moral?
    -Can I, as a spy, shoot every single NPC/3rd party/ambassador from the other team and pretend I’m trying to steal their props so that they’ll get super pissed and bring back friends to teach the team they think I’m on a lesson?
    -etc.
    If it’s not in the rules, yes, and any long time role player at a scenario game will say “I wouldn’t ever do that…” and then do it to you as soon as your back is turned. Why? Because it’s fun, it’s fun to role play the slime ball spy and be one of the main contributors to a couple thousand people game win. If you don’t like it there’s a format called the big game, like castle, western worrs, bataan, etc.

    Scenario has always been like that, and you know it.

    “Game fixing, playing favorites, biased reffing and downright thrown events to ensure someone wins. Then there's the cheating.”

    I thought you already played at a couple MXS games…

    “At least that's what it felt like the last time I played a scenario game.”

    If I remember that was the MXS game when a couple people you really pissed off DID do something ENTIRELY unacceptable.


    “So they're only competing for sponsorship dollars which translates into ‘respect’. Specifically, any recognition that will get their picture in the magazine coverage.”

    I compete for fun and this respect thing you talk about. It’s not like it bumps my ego off or something, it’s just nice to fit into a community of paintballers who are there to play.

    I DO agree that the sponsorship thing is ridiculous. A recent post on specops some kid said that sponsorship wasn’t good for your wallet, it just gets you respect. BS respect, the respect you inference, IMHO. I totally agree with you that people and teams go completely out of control with sponserships and how important they think they are. What pisses me off more is the player thinking he’s a prostitute, not a player, because what, he’s giving you dealer price on a gun?

    “But more and more, as money is poured into the scenario game, morality becomes the first casualty to profits. […] Once there's perceived value in winning, everyone is going to do what it takes to win.”

    Did you ever play at skirmish before scenario ball “took off.” Nothing new at all, people have been blatantly cheating in ridiculous ways at certain fields forever.

    But I think the big thing you don’t see is the teams that fight back against this. The old school hardcore teams that play by playing to win. Yea, them womping on some of the “tourney attitude” scenario teams doesn’t get published, we both know why, but they prove a point to those that see them in action. I’d gladly talk about this with you in private.

    10-Shot kid

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 13, 2007 4:18:00 AM  

  • Hey rob, interesting blog, my answers are on my website.

    www.worldoftb.com

    But I must warn you, graphic language is on the site if you dig.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Friday, July 13, 2007 9:37:00 AM  

  • Hi Rob:
    I invited you to come to MOUT with me, but you were deep off into the Utah thing..
    However
    What you missed by not coming to MOUT was the huge amount of indifference Specops showed to the game and Smart Parts. They {SpecOps} motivated us to "pounce" The smack before the game, the preparation Smart Parts invested in before the game, and the flexible gameplan that was initiated was motivated by SpecOps.

    When the 2 Roughnecks stated we got no respect, they nailed it. SpecOps wasn't even ready for the start of the game. They gave us most of the field. They didn't seem to care. It would be similar to taking off from the north base at PB Sams, blasting through the swamp, bast the barrel field, through the river and finally meeting the other team in half-way into the tubes.

    As far as the MVT & MVP awards, I witnessed each and every one of the teams and player that won on our side. They all deserved to win the awards. SpecOps, I don't have a clue about their picks.

    And as far as the "scenario producers A, B, & C; I've seen Pacman do all 3.

    And assholes in scenario? Well I've seen your asshole side. We all have one... The bottom line is we hunt humans and then shoot them. As long as we are hunter/hunted we will have our asshole qualities. I have still seen games come to a halt to deal with a cheater. Both sides will stop and deal with a cheater, then get back to hammering each other.

    You should have been there. You would have been appalled at the cavalier attitude of SpecOps and their arrogant indifference of what was coming their way, DESPITE being told, point-blank what was coming their way. We earned that victory; SpecOps earned their ass-whipping.


    Email me.. about Winter Park, CO this year

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 13, 2007 6:54:00 PM  

  • Mike :

    I couldn't afford the trip out to Blanding, but this isn't JUST about the MOUT game there. What I'm talking about is an ever-growing attitude from a lot of "scenario" players that they can do no wrong because they're "woods players". Hell, you know as well as I do that cheating is rampant in scenario games / big games. Nobody cared 'till now because nobody won anything as a result of how they play. Now, there's a value on winning. So the attitudes are shifting.

    The Blanding game is just the lynch pin that motivated me to post. I didn't listen to the Spec Ops stories, I just read what people said on the forums. The SP forum and the SO forum. And what I saw wasn't the usual "good game" speech. It honestly feels like people are rubbing the losers nose in the shit.

    And I've seen this a LOT in the past, and I know I'm going to see more of it in the future.

    This isn't about just Blanding. This is about an attitude that's been growing as the years go on. We've already got a good example of where this path leads.

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:57:00 AM  

  • Rob, I'm not seeing the arrogance because we are "woods players", I do see a "self assurance" as scenario players. When Thunderstruck and Odyssey get together, they are hard to beat. In fact, I don't think they have ever been beat when they are on the same team. When the Texans and Cajuns get together and travel out of state in a group we cannot be beat {so far}. There is a decent amount of whining about that, but most players accept the defeat and try again next time.
    {Yea, I'm throwing "attitude", but it has been earned over the years at CPX, EMR, MOUT and several other venues}

    As far as "rampant" cheating; I'm just not seeing it in the games I play. There are accusations that prove groundless on investigation, if that's what you are referring to, but rampant cheating is not happening "in my world". The guys I associate with do not cheat.

    And about attitude.. Are you saying Texans shouldn't have "attitude"? Dude, You know that is an impossible goal!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:09:00 AM  

  • Yeah, I know, asking a Texan to "Check his attitude" is going to be about as successful as calming down a raging bull with a steak.

    What I'm talking about is that players are taking it the "next" step, and that's where the danger is.

    Some say it's just "human nature". but then again "human nature" of about 100 years ago was that children working in factories was ok too, and if they got hurt? Big deal, let them go and make another child.

    There's a difference between evolving and devolving.

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:35:00 AM  

  • It's actually scary where this is going. I used to play quite a bit of tourney ball back in the day, but left and went back to the woods because of the 'tude that was being shoveled around. Never thought it would happen here in Hawaii but it did.

    Now to think that it's starting to creep into the woods is a scary thought. The one last 'tude free bastion of fair play and honor is being invaded. Invaded by big bucks and sponsorships. I just hope it takes a long time before it makes it way into the back woods of my home state.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:05:00 AM  

  • "Dang, thats a real shame. I've never played tourney but I've watched enough videos to see what your talking about. I preferr woodsball and am going to my first Scenario this September (Stalingrad III at Challenge Park). I really hope I don't run into people like that. "

    Hey buddy, welcome to the world of scenario paintball. CPX is a good field, but frankly, alot of the teams represented there ARE the kinda teams that tyger is talking about. My team (Legacy) won't be there, but look up "the Saints" led by Todd Berens. They're a standup team who play for honor. Have fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:08:00 PM  

  • "My team (Legacy) won't be there, but look up "the Saints" led by Todd Berens. They're a standup team who play for honor. Have fun!"

    Yeah, i've actualy been talking with them back and forth and plan on playing with them july 29th at CPX.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:30:00 PM  

  • Seems to me Tyger your blog should have been more specific. You aimed for the whole broad "not naming names" approach, but all that did is make your post appear to be representative of all scenarioball.

    And clearly it's not. You can't hope to comprehend how players in the flesh at an international level really behave.

    As per usual I can only give my own anecdote. The guys I play with... they're not 'overly informed' when it comes to scenario games. We have very few of them in NZ and basically none are sponsored events. Most players don't really know the difference (On a marketting and practical level) between say... Opsgear and Spec Ops, much less things MORE detailed than that.

    All that said, the theme of your blog is sound. When we start introducing incentives and prizes for winning, and put $$$ and spo0nsorship into scenarios, it just encourages the existing level of cheating and bad sportsman ship.

    So being from a country where paintball is small and UNSPONSORED, we're lucky in that respect. Hence you ought to have made your blog more specific. What applies in say... "Middle America"... does not necessarily apply on a much larger scale.

    ~J

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 23, 2007 11:51:00 PM  

  • I always get nervous when a scenario team says they are "the best on the field". In my opinion, there are only a couple ways to be "the best". Either have excellent aim and awareness on the field (See Smart Corps at SPPL in Michigan) or be wiping, cheating bastards. I have noticed a definate increase in the latter. I think it is really up to the teams to police themselves, and the field/sponsors to encourage that self-policing. If a walk-on sees another player wipe, they don't have much recourse. Call a ref and hope for the best is about it. But if I see a teammate wipe, I can do something about it, then and there. Likewise, teams can also put peer pressure on other teams, but to a lesser extent. This interaction is critical to keeping scenario ball from becoming the sportsmanship hell-hole that tourney has become.
    We are very fortunate in scenario that currently there are few avenues to "win" a scenario, therefore there is not much pressure by sponsors to "win". When Fox Paintball offered a package to my team, one thing they asked was how we intended to conduct ourselves with other players. I told him straight out that our team values integrity on the field so we take our hits, so very often we are not the last team on the field. It wasn't easy for me to write that, because it sounds like "not winning", but nothing, and I mean nothing, is a bigger turn-off for experienced and new players alike than players that cheat. As a team, we would rather "lose" with integrity than "win" by cheating. It isn't always easy. Fortunatly, Fox feels the same way. The temptation to play-on after I just come back into the game and get shot right away is huge, but if I choose to play on, I am ruining someone elses game. Likewise, I have never had anyone be less than appreciative when I take my hit, especially new players.
    Until players stop thinking of "winning" as being the last guy on the field, and start thinking of "winning" as being embassadors for the sport by refusing to cheat, we will continue to slide toward the tourney pit.

    Spartan
    Heretics Scenario Paintball
    (we are not with the Saints anymore)

    By Blogger Spartan, at Monday, August 27, 2007 3:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home