Views from a paintball cynic

Friday, September 14, 2007

"Redz Comfort"? Not really anymore.

A few months ago, I posted a request for people's opinions of traveling gear bags. I settled on the Redz "Tranzport Seriez Large Gear Bag" for several reasons. Lockable zippers, wheels, ease of travel, and something that didn't scream "I HAVE PAINTBALL GUNS STEAL ME!"

5 months after purchase, I have a final verdict on this product. Total junk.

The inside of the main compartment is spacious, yes. It fits a lot of gear. The side pockets fit a pair of boots on each side, in fact. However, here's the problem. In construction, they cheaped out on one of the most vital components. The zippers.

Here are two photos taken not more than 20 minutes ago of the zipper pulls on the lower compartment. A compartment, I might add, that they claim "holds enough clothes for several days" If all you wear is 1 pair of jeans and change underwear sparingly, this is not the case. Unless "several" means 3, in which case I'll buy that. But the problem is the zipper is made cheaply.

One side zipper came off 4 months after purchase, but I could deal with it as the other side still worked and the bag still closed.



Tonight, the other zipper simply pulled off the teeth under ZERO stress, and now the bag is completely useless as the bottom part will not close nor secure. The upper compartment zipper is doing the same, and under a "Zero load" I know it's going to break very soon.

I could still use the bag, but I couldn't put anything in the lower area. It will fall out. Hence killing 30% of the bag's holding potential, not to mention making it impossible to pick up as the lower half will swing free on a hinge if it leaves the ground. I could use the buckles, but stuff will still fall out the bottom.

So I checked the website about returns, and I saw this :

We stand behind our products 100%. If, for any reason, Redz products do not perform up to specifications, or if there is a manufacturer defect in material construction, we will repair or replace the item free of charge, for up to 120 days from the date of purchase with a valid receipt. No refunds will be issued for warranties. Abused or misused products will not be accepted; please follow the care instructions on product tag or contact a Redz international for care instructions.

Customers wishing to utilize this warranty procedure must provide a copy of a dated receipt of purchase.


Seeing as I've been traveling to UTAH and back, the bag has scrapes and abrasions on it to constitute "abused". Not to mention that 120 days have passed since point of purchase, so they will not honor their warranty. I tried to contact the company several times and gained no response from them at all. So, in the end, I now have a bag that won't close, a company that won't respond, and a problem hauling my gear around.

So why am I blogging this? Well, $150 is nothing to sneeze at when you count every penny. Paintball isn't a cheap sport, we all know this. But I like a product to last more than 4 months when it's supposedly designed to last. Ever since Hastings became a separate entity to "Redz Comfort" the whole company has pretty much gone to hell. I bought the bag thinking he was still part of the company, and was quickly proven otherwise.

But even for the moderate use I've given this bag over a period of less than 5 months, to have it fall apart is just sad. Perhaps I'm strange, but things like luggage should be constructed with the thought that gorillas will be handling this stuff. And what falls apart? The zipper?!? Come on guys, that's just sad.

For the same $150 I could have chosen other brands, but I chose the REDZ. I'm now regretting this decision. So, until further notice, I'll be using my 7+ year old JT gear bag that has not fallen apart, even after flying from coast to coast and having passport marks on it. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with Mantis or Empire. Possibly Ratco, if I can find any in stock anywhere.

Or just go with my gut, hit up a local surplus store, and get a military duffel. That'll last forever.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • "Or just go with my gut, hit up a local surplus store, and get a military duffel. That'll last forever."

    good call, thats what i did.

    By Blogger Turbolen, at Friday, September 14, 2007 12:38:00 PM  

  • That's just sad... I'm looking into getting an actual gear bag instead of the large plastic tub that sits in my closet and my Jan Sport backpacks that I haul my gear to and from the field in. One of which is 3-4 years old and still only a few threads have come off it; and I've stretched that thing to what I though would be near bursting.

    By Blogger Cerrik, at Friday, September 14, 2007 9:50:00 PM  

  • I got a nice gun case from gander mountain to carry my gun in. Rest of the stuff I don't need a special bag for personally. The tank always stays outside a bag anyways cause I don't like not being able to check the regulator before I start driving.

    10-shot kid

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:58:00 AM  

  • I don't see why you would bother getting a paint ball specific bag for what you could get two large duffles for.

    If must have a paintball specific one:
    http://www.paintballbodybags.com/mega.cfm
    99$ for theier largest size, they are built extremely well, and they scream "steal me" alot less than a redz bag.
    http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/2860/

    By Blogger palfguy, at Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:59:00 AM  

  • wow, i really made a bunch of spelling/grammar mistakes in my last comment. oooh well.

    By Blogger palfguy, at Sunday, September 16, 2007 11:00:00 AM  

  • Wow...

    I hope this doesn't happen to mine that soon. I'm amazed that it fell apart that quickly. I remember how excited I was to buy a bag that was suggested by you, but now... Oh well.

    I know what you mean about the lower part, too. It never sits right and doesn't fit much (or at least not what you thought it would).

    Well, best of luck in finding a new one.

    -Badmintoner

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:52:00 PM  

  • I use a nike Locker Bag. It's designed for lacrosse, so its all compartmentalized and has a niche hard casing section to hold my marker. better yet, its 70 bucks, and has wheels, and extendable handle, and locking zippers. 2 years running hardcore both speedball and scenario and it still works,and thats after 3 years of lacrosse.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:07:00 AM  

  • Wow, Now I am glad I went and got that 30" walmart special for like 20 bucks. It is a little smaller and I was considering getting a Redz bag for the fact that I could place paintball gear in slots designed for paintball gear.

    Welp, it seems that I will just get a 20 to 30 buck rifle case small enough to fit in my car's trunk and big enough to fit an A5 with stock and barrel one it. Or I may just get another 30" bag like the one I got and use it too.

    One for my cloths and one for paintball stuff.

    Ogre
    Hooligan Tactical Squad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home