Views from a paintball cynic

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Farewell to Kings

Adult language follows. Consider yourself warned.

As of this moment, the Web Dog main page reads as follows:

"It's been real.

So long, and thanks for all the Phish."

Yes, it's a reference to the popular jam band "Phish", but more importantly, I'm done. After playing today, and comparing it to the past few events I've been to, I've come to the conclusion that the game being presented as "paintball" is not the game of "paintball" I used to enjoy.

I should explain. In the last two months of playing I've seen fist fights, almost became involved in two more including today, had my civil rights violated by a field enforced mandatory and illegal search and seizure of my belongings, and have had people threaten to kick my ass because I caught them wiping. And that's just my experiences. And I should mention this is all rec-ball, not tournaments.

Then I hear of other stuff going on. How the IAO sucked and no vendors showed up. How the industry fucked itself over a sweet TV deal because they acted like a bunch of hack amateurs. How companies are splitting up or making new brands to sell product and screwing each other. How the industry is turning sue-happy to get more of the paintball pie for themselves.

And you know what? I'm tired. I'm really tired of it all. I'm tired of feeling like I might have to defend myself from violence on the field. I'm tired of people pushing the rules to the breaking point, then beyond. I'm tired of watching 16-20 year old referees try to enforce rules to overly testosteroned 25 year old players whose best retort is "FUCK YOU!" or "FUCK OFF" or "FUCK YOURSELF" as they bully the refs around.

I'm tired of watching the sport I loved get shit-canned for a slicker and more sellable image. I'm tired of dealing with morons in the industry whose interest is making money more than making a community. I'm tired of players copping an attitude because they never learned how to be courteous or even have morals, and I'm tired of being told it's my job to enforce morality upon them. (It never works, and all you get is a mad player in your face wanting to kick your ass for lighting them up when they wipe hits.)

Back in 2000 I hit an impasse. I went to a Dollack scenario game and was assaulted by the "XO" of the opposing team. He shoved a gun into my chest, 3 inches into my chest, and pulled the trigger while someone else held my arms away from me. I reported this to Dollack, and both Wayne and Jackie told me "Boys will be boys." I was also informed I wouldn't be "welcome" at any other event if I pressed charges. It became obvious to me at that point that my safety was not a concern to anyone else but, apparently, me.

I had to seriously reconsider the sport I thought I knew. I figured I'd tough it out, see what came, and ride it from there. I had an opportunity open up with Web Dog, and I took it. Two seasons and more than a few life-changing events later, I'm back at that impasse. The "sport" I thought I enjoyed is not fun anymore, and I know why.

It's the players.

Over time, I've watched the change. The game has gotten slicker in the pro ranks, and I've watched as fighting, screaming matches and over tempered behavior was not only allowed but glorified. Everyone's seen the "Roundhouse" from 300 FPS, as well as the guns that get chucked to the ground in disgust in every major video on the market. If you haven't seen those, how about the temper tantrums pros throw by punching bunkers if they get shot? Plus Rocky's "we will boycott" threat at the X-Ball game after he cowed a referee and made motions like he would punch one of the others.

I've said it before, that there is a very real trickle down effect in paintball. What happens in the pro ranks takes 6 months to a year to become a reality in my walk-on game. Today was that day. Four players were lit up by the same opponent, an off-duty ref who was playing, and one was after he had called himself out and was trying to exit the field. Then the fight, it wasn't from a tournament player. It was a rec guy wearing camouflage pants and a t-shirt. This isn't a game; this was a barely contained brawl.

If it were isolated, I'd let it go. But again in the last two months I've seen the cops called to press charges on a player who started a fist fight on the field of play. It's the Wild West all over again. We've got young boys with guns and nobody around who will teach them morality or how to act. The refs won't do it, the field owners can't, and certainly parents won't punish children for something they didn't see them do if at all.

So this brings me back to my safety on the field. Since my safety is, in part, a result of the players I'm with, I put faith into them. I trust that they don't crank up guns while we're in the parking lot. I trust them to play honestly. I have to believe that they're not going to overuse the trigger in an attempt to injure someone.

Unfortunately, that's simply not the case anymore. Back in the day, it wasn't so bad. But since the "Wild West" mentality has been embraced (light up a cheater, light up someone who's being a jerk, punish the guilty yourself rather than get a ref there) and the level of tech has kept increasing, it's created a volatile mix of adrenaline, testosterone and ego.

One of these days, if the game keeps going the way it is, some kid will get killed. No, not figuratively. Some kid will mouth off at the wrong guy, and catch 50-100 paintballs point blank in the throat or the back of the head. Or some kid will light up some guy in a bunkering run, and said guy will chase the kid around the field and beat him to death with a paintball gun.

Solutions? None that are easy. They involve a huge social revolution in the game of paintball. A revolution that is neither profitable for the industry nor possible with the players. And unless someone turns a buck nobody will want to do it. So this brings me back to the beginning.

"It's been real." And it has. WDR has been a ride and a half. All told I've sunk a lot of time, effort and money into something that I didn't want to turn a profit on. It would have been nice, but that was never my intention. It existed to give back to the paintball community, have some kind of positive impact on the world of paintball. And in a way, it has. I've proven, among other things, that you can film woods-ball with respect to the game. You can make a reality show where people really do like each other and the audience will like it. And you can make a low budget show look good if you have a story to tell and the dedication to it.

"So long, and thanks for all the Phish." A nod to Douglas Adams, yes. More than that, it's not goodbye. On the WDR forums I've already been accused of never intending to bring WDR back at all, and that's not true. The money spent on POW Web would beg to differ. The phone calls telling me that I'd have to sink $500 up front for the hosting I need would differ too.

If it comes back, it comes back. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Just because I'm tired of dealing with morons does not mean that the whole world is full of them. It also does not mean that art should be hidden away. Yes, the clips are art. After pouring blood, sweat and paint into them, they're art. But it's still something I would still give away for free, if I can. But am I done with it? Pretty much, yes.

I set out to do a few things with WDR, and since it's not profitable to do so I don't get any support from the industry. And since it's not tourney-slick I don't get respect. And since it's not showing scantily-clad women or fights, I don't get much of anything else. After fighting uphill so long, you either get the point or get out of the way of the juggernaut going downhill. That includes the industry screwing itself, the events screwing the players, and the players taking out their anger on each other.

I can not, with a clear conscience, associate myself with a sport that condones by silence any kind of violent behavior. If you don't condemn an act, you give the green light for others to repeat it. Today finally was the big fucking spotlight on the fact that in paintball, my safety is not a concern. When I used to ref my main goal of the day was to insure the players all had a safe time, then they had a good time, then they had the rules. Apparently, this is no longer the case.

So I've taken down the WDR site and I'm not planning on anything paintball oriented in the future. If it finds me, it finds me. If not, oh well. Don't think for a moment that this is an easy decision on my behalf. You don't take something you created from scratch and throw it away for no good reason. But I can't place myself in a position that someone will name me in a lawsuit if their kid gets hurt. And I can't write articles that I know nobody will read or heed the advice. I can write all I want "Don't bunker people" but nobody will listen. All that I realistically can do is control my own actions and thoughts.

I can not change the behavior of the players, the industry or the referees, so that leaves me with my own behavior patterns. It's been a rule of mine in life that if you're not enjoying something you do, don't do it. Is this a full retirement? I wouldn't say so, but after the heaps of abuse from people about WDR, the game being more dangerous (with implied and real violence carried out), referees who don't put any care or effort into the games they run, and an industry that "wags the dog" it's gotten to the point that I'm loathing the idea to go out and play. And honestly, I don't want to be on the field where some kid is pounded bloody by an over-testosteroned moron or takes the "golden bullet" shot in the back of his head and causes an aneurysm. Either way, I don't want to see it or be named in the lawsuit.

And before you all say "Well come to my field" I am speaking in generalities. YOUR field may not be like that, but more of them are than are not. But when you see the trend repeated not only in your home field, but all around the country, it's not just a local thing. I've seen it coming for a long time; I've just been denying it. But after today, I no longer have that luxury.

I wish I had an uplifting way to end this, but I don't. Other than I'm still going to update this blog. I still hold hope for the game, but not much. Too much has to happen before paintball is taken seriously by anyone outside of the circle. And if nobody else will say it, I will. I am, after all, a cynic.

38 Comments:

  • A fitting end to a great run.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:15:00 PM  

  • I-I-... I can't believe it...

    This is crazy... Tyger, it isn't the sport. It's the society. Our society is built upon people acting like literal morons who don't know how to screw in a lightbulb if their lives depended on it. What you are seeing is what happens when we send our society in to play with a paintball gun. That's the problem. It's not paintball. It's the freaking idiots out there who are getting their hands on paintball markers.


    I feel your pain bruh. But... I just say put your hands up and say screw it. Just tell them to go jump in a vat of sewage and just keep playing. They want to go and bunker somebody really bad? Let em'. You can't do nothing about it, I can't, nobody can. It's just going to happen.


    See, you come from a time when things were much more laid back. You played back in the the late 80's and like all the 90's and up to the 2000's right? Yes. So if you think about it. You've had time to play with the better of our times. The 80's and 90's... I must adimt they probably were a much better and like more laid back kind of time. Nowaday with all the violence and stuff and people acting like hippy's out of their minds with their kids they let their children do whatever they want. And when the kids are told something, they take it as an insult? Me? When I hear somebody on the field or anywhere in regular life telling me something that I didn't know before, or correcting me? I'll listen. I'll try my damnest to fix the problem I made and try to better myself.


    But you know, I guess I'm a dying breed or something. Sorry to hear about you retiring man. But... I guess that's the irony of life...


    -Echo


    p.s. Long live Tyger and the memory of webdog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:19:00 PM  

  • Best of luck to you, buddy. You will be missed. Farewell to Kings? Nay, farewell to Camelot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 1:48:00 AM  

  • We choose which direction is best when a change is needed in pursuing life, and happiness! It’s typical, for someone to criticize it, condemn or approve our actions. Everyone has to have their say, so here it goes…
    No matter what we involve our self’s in, there will be a yin yang factor.
    Having had the pleasure of knowing you in the past two years(just from your articles that you’ve wrote) I will conclude our sport is loosing one of the best ambassadors it has ever known, and the odds that “Paintball” as a sport, could reach the level of justification as an honorable indevour, has suffered a great blow.
    There are others like you involved in helping this sport continue to become something we can all be proud of(the sport it self is still quite young), at my age(1957) I have to be very creative when I explain to the unknowing why I play, lol. I tell them of the great commorodity I see in it (some bad, mostly good), and the technicality of the equipment that we use. It’s the vast concept as a whole that keeps me coming back.
    Since I could remember, I’ve dealt with demons that got in my way, I’m going to continue to grab each one by their horns and beat them down. That’s what they want!

    Thanks for all your insight you’ve brought to my sport, I hope someone out there can fill your shoes.
    Sincerely, Jack Lo Cicero aka Splattttttt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 7:08:00 AM  

  • You are still being much too cynical. There are tons of events and countless numbers of good players out there...They just need to band together.

    WDRmy is sounding better and better, if it takes off.

    And I still think we could make a better field Tyger :P Pumps only.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 7:41:00 AM  

  • It was always fun with you, thanks for everything.

    And you are so right about paintball. The innocence is gone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 8:39:00 AM  

  • Rob,
    we talked of this at Coram and I'm sad to see you have jumped on your sword. I agree with the problems and issues - there have been more then one field I have walked off of or went back to staging and put my ref gear on. A philosopher once said that for evil to win it takes a good man to walk away....
    I know what you said about other fields but you know you are always welcome at EMR or any field that I am at. I had also walked away from PB and a pro ride before I played with the team at Skyball ( PPiG ). Now not only is this my sport but also my career.
    hope to see you back again
    Bob Lanstrum

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 9:02:00 AM  

  • Sorry to see ya go. And I can agree with everything you have said about the subject. In the rural area that I live in, paintbal has grown by leaps and bounds, we run a low cost tourney circuit here for the locals. if you have to spend more than a hundred bucks to compete, your throwing paint and not playing. No real prizes, just a grand round of applause to the winners. And the satisfaction of a win. But, like you stated, there are those that would cheat and beat down lesser skilled players for a win. We ran across that in the last tourney, one team. One team out of 12 decided that winning at any cost was worth what they did..Playing on, rampant overshooting, WIPING in plain sight of everyone but the ref.. Very frustrating to say the least. They alone have tarnished a very honest and low cost event.

    Dont give up on paintball yet, I haven't. I still teach young guns to play, and play fair and honorably. It is mandatory for the parents to be at the training camps to observe and learn themselves what is right and wrong.
    One small corner of the pball world I can controll and make a difference in, and i owe it all to you..

    Thanks for all the vids and time you have put in to make the sport better, It'll make a difference, someday..

    Meanwhile, break out the phantom and show them what it was to be old school..

    Thank you and good luck on any endeavor you may choose.

    Jim Moosmann
    aka
    ToTalChaos

    Vernel, Ut

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 9:26:00 AM  

  • Rob;

    We've ridden some of the same waves, and I've seen some of those highs and lows with you. I can't fault the decision, and this humpty dumpty himself isn't sure which side of the wall to fall on either or how many pieces will be left when I do.

    You're going to be missed, and in some venues have already been for a long time. But whatever your choice, you know my number and you're always welcome as a friend.

    -Hans

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 10:16:00 AM  

  • I'm always sorry to hear when people get fed up and quit, especially someone as highly esteemed as you are. It's not the first and unfortunately it won't be the last time Paintball has lost a valuable member.

    Good luck in the future, whatever it is that you end up doing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 12:16:00 PM  

  • I respect you soo much for that. It's about time someone shouts out to the world about this nonsense. But like you said it's not everyone out there that are a bunch of jerks. The pros should set a good example for the players, instead they wipe, curse, yell, fight, and cheat. This nonsense needs to be taken care of. In every sport the pros are the ones that young kids and beginners model themselves after, and I see it happening already at the field. Little kids cursing, wiping, yelling, getting in fights. It's rediculous.
    This is a post that will forever be rememembered by many. Much respect.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 1:01:00 PM  

  • I don't belive all that happened to you or at the fields you have been to. At the fields I go to people are nice and when they get hit they just say I'm out and get off the field... They just have fun at the field I go to. They get out, they just go and wait till next game and they don't even say anything about the last game.

    I'm sorry if you belive you mission has "failed" but to me your a life saver. When my friend sold me my first spyder compact 2000 till now with my Spyder Imagine 04'(soon to me customized) you have been there to help me. I have learned so much from you and if it wasnt for you I probably wouldnt be playing right now. For me your mission was a success.

    Thank you Tyger for enlightening me "ohmmmmmmm" =). I hope you make a new website and enlighten us more.

    WDRmy!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 1:45:00 PM  

  • i am sad to see you go, even though i do not personaly know you, but i have seen you productions and enjoied them.

    but at teh same time i can not blame you for leaving, i under stand all the bull shit that is happening. i am one of those refs that no one listens to, i under stand and i wish the paintball world was not like this.

    to all of those that say there is nothign we can do i dissagree and give you a charge
    -for all of us that know the old way, be it through living it, or trying to carry it on in out modern generation, we must continue to try to play with honor and respect. we must boycott the companies that try to screw over everyone. we must stand up to the cheaters. even though one of us will not do much alone, all of us will break the darkness that is corupting out comunity.

    i hope you find you way back one day to a comunity that hs changed for the best, that is the way the sport was meant to be.

    -matt athayde
    co-captain
    santa's rejects scenario team

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 1:46:00 PM  

  • Tyger,
    You have done more for paintball than I could ever dream of doing myself. WDR as a site may be gone, but the things that it taught us is not- and I don't mean how to run and shoot and the importance of practice. Things like: honor, respect, common sense, rational thinking, and responsibility.
    The site may be down, but we as a group will endure, as you will endure. I know you will pop up into the spotlight once again, after the storm that is coming passes. Just be sure to take that phone call from Primetime Live years from now when they cover the brief "glitzy gangsta" years of paintball. They will look to you as we have for that strange take on paintball you always have: the Truth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 5:00:00 PM  

  • I know how you feel... after playing paintball in Australia and Europe, i moved to Canada, only to experience a, well... less than proffessional paintball scene.

    All i could see were the ego's and attitudes and it left me a little dishearted. This wasnt the game i grew up with either or continued to be involved in when i lived in the UK. It was something to do with North America... is it people emulating what the stars of paintball are doing? Who knows...

    What I do know though, is its not a permanent thing. It's more like a phase that paintball over here is going through. Recently, a local player who is much revered by the local youth was banned from a large tournament because he cant check is ego or attitude on the field. This left him on the sidelines for the tournament, and off the winner's podium when his team (minus him) took 1st in their division.

    Of course this is only a small step, but its a step in the right direction. Slowly, paintballer's bringing 'unsporting' attitudes will be left on the sidelines...

    Take heart mate, its just a phase. think of it as a stage of adolecence in this creature we call paintball. One day, it will grow up... (i hope!)

    J

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 7:29:00 PM  

  • Oh man, the sport is really getting bad :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 9:00:00 PM  

  • Rob,

    I know the feeling.

    I respect your decision, too.

    Don't forget about us though bro, come on down to the Spring Pump Event next year.

    ---"Super" Fred Klein
    PHOG #58

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 08, 2005 9:32:00 PM  

  • Agree 100%

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:57:00 AM  

  • I hear ya Tyger, I have been preaching this same sermon for two years now. I agree that it is the 'trickle down' effect from the media, manufacturers and the so-called 'pros' of paintball. At first I thought it was only these 'pros' that had temper tantrums and threw $1200 markers to the ground to make a stupid point, but I too have witnessed it on the rec fields. I dared to take a guy out (and his Angel!) with my humble Tippmann and he had a very scary tantrum in the middle of the field. Was he ejected from the game? Had his privlidges and membership revoked? Chastized by his peers? Nope, none of that; Everyone looked the other way, including the refs and the field owner. This only encourages further bad behaviour by him and anyone else that witnessed his fit.

    Yeah - I have pretty much had it too. We used to have a day of fun with 100 paintballs and a handfull of 12 grammers, but no more. We used to get together with 10 or 15 friends, play all day, and remain friends. And if someone brought a 'newbie' to the field and they acted unsafely or inappropiately they were not invited back.

    Times have changed. It's all about winning at any cost and not about having a fun and safe time. Accuracy has been replaced by volume, manners have been replaced by attitude and safety has been tossed out the window. I still play a bit but I am very fussy with whom I play.

    See ya Tyger - I wish you all the best.

    Sarge

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 5:15:00 AM  

  • Tyger,

    You know I agree with you 100%. WDR was a great run, and I'm sorry to see it go. What you've put up with, ie. bad refs, horrid players, is something I've never witnessed, and I'm thankful for that. Hopefully paintball wont degrade anymore, but as much as I hate to say it, I doubt it.

    Also, I'm glad to see Tyger's blog has so much support.

    Lantz
    KIA
    SpecOpsPaintball

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:54:00 AM  

  • sad to see it go... i ve been playing for almost a year now and have to say yer page has been quite helpful in understanding that which is "paintball."

    the few times that i did play on pay fields i did witness more battle of the egos rather than happy fun time. it happens with any "sport" i guess. during my laser quest years i witnessed many confrontations between players, the whining of whose cheating, "he touched me", etc. the attitudes in these 2 "sports" are identical. all too familiar. i pretty much got to the same point where you are with paintball. so i tend to stick with playing with a few friends out in the woods.

    i hope you post the vids up again or maybe even publish them on cd/dvd. thanks for your contribution

    bill
    wshackford@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:37:00 AM  

  • u were the best and i never would of survived on afeild without you. suks 2 see u go but u have a good reason. peace it's been great. oh and the jackass in the fourms is just a little quer bitch don't pay attension 2 him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:21:00 AM  

  • controversey is gonna happen in any sport....now adays...a guy cant play golf without the risk of someone blowing a gasket and stabbing another player with a broken putter (actually happend last year)....

    i just am very sad that tyger quit this sport....he has his reasons...but it breaks my heart....

    i made a GWS video for him back when he nearly died/was paralized from a back injury...some of you may have seen it.....

    but it just shows how much i respected him and all....

    oh well, just another one of the greats have come and past.....

    as Riddler said ....NOT farewell to kings...but Farewell to camelot

    we'll miss you tyger
    you'll always be remembered

    ps: my video: http://www.jayloo.com/videos/show_vid/292.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:25:00 PM  

  • Definately an understandable move.. As echo said, I don't believe your post is directed specifically at the sport, though using pb as an example is perhaps an easy instance and reflection, and a good example as any, of the corruption of society. 95% of the world are tools. 95% of the world sucks. Sadly the ratio isn't evening out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 09, 2005 5:14:00 PM  

  • Tyger,

    We've differed on Automags.org before, but I read this, and I sure as shit agree with you. You've outlined why I've made the difficult decision to quit as well.

    Good Luck,

    Ryan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:34:00 AM  

  • Rob is right. The attitude today is Hurt & SmackTalk. Unless the responsible people act to control the bad element (young and old), look for disaster. I know many old time players who hate the firepower and do not like that kind of game. They quit too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:08:00 AM  

  • Everything you said here is completely true and that should instill the younger generation with a head on their shoulders to stand up and not take it anymore. If we want to continue this sport e-mail this to your local stores and tourny holders. Tell them that you wont stand for this crap either and put your money where your mouth is. Thanks Tyger, I'll be re-watching all your videos with years to come.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 2:41:00 PM  

  • Tyger,

    you do what you feel is right. I've been playing since '94, and even then you were a celebrity. I agree 100%. These kids that say hate the player, not the game don't realize that the player IS the game.

    Thank you for everything you do for us.

    Liquid Plummer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:15:00 PM  

  • I'll buy your KP2. you know how to contact me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:17:00 PM  

  • This is a mad mad mad mad world we live in, and nothing is going to change it. Only tragedy will change the sport. I hate to see you go, but in whatever endeavors you undertake, I wish you the best of luck, and I give you my greatest thanks to you, one of the world's biggest paintball heroes. You will be remembered as one of the greatest of not only paintball, but of life in general.

    -Snake- of Spec Ops Brigade

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:29:00 PM  

  • Like everyone else has said Tyger you'll be missed, but even if you have given it up come out once and a while to smaller fields, I'v played at most of the NE fields and i like these small ones, you just don't see any of the fighting or swearing that goes on at a major event or field.

    Oh and btw if you sell your gear I'm interested in the KP-2 as well :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:58:00 PM  

  • Sorry to see you go man. But I can understand where you are comming form. You and WdR was the major insperation for Po' Man's Paintball. You left awfly large shoes to fill and I hope I live up to the responsability. You set the bar for the "Honerably" Paintballer. I hope that you find sucess in whatever indever that you follow in the future.

    "Krazy" Zack Black
    http://pomanspaintball.50webs.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, August 12, 2005 10:14:00 PM  

  • WOW!!!!

    I hear ya Tyger!!!
    That's exactly why I stopped playing paintball. Oh! Did I mention that was almost 15 years ago!!!!
    These crazy new guns, something called semiautos, started coming around along with a lot of wipping and very aggressive players. It was enough to make me quit the sport I loved since the days of Splatmasters and Nelspots.
    But I came back.
    I love the sport, now more than ever since I can play it with my son. And the way I see it, it comes down to this: if all the safety consious, moral players quit, the sport's future will be sealed.
    My son has learned to play with honour on the field and off, and I'd like to think I've influenced that but setting a good example.

    As difficult as it is we cannot walk away feeling the sport has let us down. We are the sport, and it is up to us to make it what we want.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:01:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Charles "Mothman" Cole, at Monday, August 22, 2005 9:55:00 PM  

  • Errr,,,,Wow! I didn't see this coming. I'v been a fan for the past two years, and somehow trusted that if someone was out there saying the things you was saying that it benifits all of us. But, seems, that those that speak the truth of the sport don't get listened to. It's a shame, really is. WDR and tyger was a inspiration, sad to see it go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 22, 2005 10:54:00 PM  

  • As many inculding you have said it is society rather than just the sport, but when you mix that society with adrenaline, aggression and markers it rapidly decends to chaos. I'd just like to to say thanks for the tips your vids gave me when i started playing. Farewell to kings

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:28:00 PM  

  • Sad ta see ya go... even though it's been several months -_-;;

    I've only played one game, and I had a somewhat enjoyable experience (The caterers never showed up... RAWR! :p). I couldn't tell if someone wiped, but there were refs all around 'hot spots' where players would mainly confront others...

    oh, and if that guy said that he wouldn't let you play if you pressed charges, and sorry to play sue-happy, but I'd sue him as well as the reckless players... when you have enough padding, or at least a chance to dodge the ball, it's still greyish-black... but holding someone down and shooting them point blank in the chest... gah! And not only that, but I think condoning unnecessary violence and risking safety are perfect points to bring up to a Judge...

    Also, hate to patronize you in any way, but me and my friend, callsign 'Razgries' (ripped the name from Ace Combat 5... meh, we're both geeks :p) are planning on creating movies of paintball experiences... if I can grab the money and necessary parts, I'm modding my hopper and putting a camera in it... and maybe a microphone... as well as a headset in the helmet... running it down into the part where my tippmann would hold responce trigger equipment (which I never plan to get.) and shoving a transmitter or a really-small harddrive...that'll be interesting...and actually feasable...

    ...and I'm also working on a Flash Animation series (eventually... curse you schoolwork! :p) called 'Paint'... which takes me, my friend Razgriez, and whichever team we go up against, in slightly modified situations, poking fun at specific areas... like the Blue Commander stealing everything, or some guy on the other team calling a 'sniper' (I know you hate the word, but it must be said) to hit the Commander (Scenario game) on a Cell-Phone! I'll even throw in a revamp of the classic 'are we there yet?', changing to 'How long til rejuv?'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:33:00 PM  

  • Tyger,

    I really do hate to see you leave. You have improved my game so much from your videos. I not only look up to you as a paintballer, but a bit of a role model too. You taught me just go out and have fun. And I do. If theres a fight than theres a fight. I just go with the ride. I don't like the fights. They do need to stop. But what are WE to do. The answer. Nothing. We are unable to change the thoughts and minds of some dumd fucks that live for the game to fight.I hate to see you leave. I really do. It does upset me a bit. You are a great guy and have a lot of heart. I hope you will see the light at the end of this tunnel and come back to play. You have made great leeps and bounds in the woodsball world, but some people don't care. I do. Specops does. We all respect you so much. I'm sure we all hate to see you leave. I know I do. Your a great man and changed a part of paintball in my eyes.
    Farwell,
    Tippy Mann (specops forums)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home