Views from a paintball cynic

Monday, July 18, 2005

Paintball gear in mass market stores

Well no time like the present to get started then. Besides, this is something I've had on my mind a while. In the future I'll actually have better writing, but this is on my mind now and there's no real better place for it than here.

Having set this blog up I also set up the WDR blog as well. I wanted to make sure the "feed" system was working out for me, so I checked it over on Yahoo. Being somewhat curious, I also did a quick search on the word "Paintball". Here's an eye opener for you.

Out of the first 20 hits, over HALF were of paintball vandalism. HALF! Ok, a few were repeat stories that got picked up by the news and spread around, but here's a highlight reel.

Man tagged in leg from Drive By paintball shooting

Teens accused of paintball attack on bicyclists

Horse shot with paintball gun

And finally, my favorite : "Paintball terror suspect sentenced to life" And with the exception of the title there's no mention of paintball anywhere else in it. There were other stories too, but those jumped out at me.


Yes, it's modern journalism where red = green, but in the larger sense it's showing us what the outside world still thinks of paintball. Hooligans. Pranksters. Vandals. Paintball players aren't the main problem. The problem is partially stores like Wal-Mart and Dicks Sporting Goods. The problem is partially the industry's interest in turning a fast buck over long term growth of the sport. And the problem is partially cheap gear and disposable income combined to make it worth tossin paintball gear in the trash after a few uses.

How do I figure this? Well let's look at the reality. With $100 in my pocket, I can go into Dicks and pick up 500 paintballs, a semi-auto paintgun and a CO2 tank which they'll also help me get filled. I don't need anything more than money, and sometimes a parent nearby if I look underage. Yes, cheap gear is cool if you want to get more people into paintball, but it also means disposable tools for people who want to vandalize places and things. Sure, they'd use spray paint if it wasn't paintballs. But with paintball gear they can "SHOOT PEOPLE". Paintball gear is cheap, it's easy to get, and if you're in trouble throw it away because it's not that expensive. I used to think it was cool to have paintball stuff in Wal-Mart, now I'm not so sure.

I hate to say it's not just them, however. Skyball '04 we cleaned splat marks off of the Skydome from TOURNAMENT PLAYERS who decided it'd be funny and cool to deface our host's building and property. In 1998 I cleaned up splats 150 miles away from the Skirmish World Record Game at a rest stop where paintball players shot the hell out of a garbage can. These are players who should know better. These are people who don't help the perception, but nobody in the industry wants to say or do anything because it's lost revenue.

Solutions? It would be stupid for large companies to pull out of the major stores at this point; they'd lose a lot of money in the process and it'd do more harm than good in paintball at this point. But does the industry not have a responsibility to the game? To simply place items on the shelves without some kind of message to teach people how to use it properly is no better than handing lawn darts to grade school kids and letting them play catch. I still think that the solution is to get paintball gear out of the Wally-World and only in paintball shops, but that won't happen anymore. And it's obvious to me that the industry as a whole won't take action. So we have to look elsewhere.

The real solution is with the players and field owners. When it all comes down to it, we are the ones who have to make the difference. It's one thing to say how disgusted we are with people using paintball gear to vandalize property. It's another to offer to find the people or report activity. And it's yet another to tell a friend "Dude, that's not cool."

The media loves to run paintball stories. It's an easy way to drum up overused clichés and gang or military visuals. We as players need to pick up the slack. We can't control the media, and we can't control the morons who abuse paintball equipment, but we CAN make a difference. Help educate people who buy gear. Invite a reporter out to play paintball. Show them the other side of the sport. They may be closed minded, but they also might gain a new perspective. Instead of "4 paintballers vandalized a car" it becomes "4 teens used paintball equipment to vandalize property."

You may not think that's much of a difference, but believe me. It is. In one the black eye is on the paintball community. In the other, it's on 4 morons who would have used baseball bats if they had 'em. Realistic? Probably not. But entropy is easier than action.

6 Comments:

  • First off, the first thing that your rant (as you like to call it) reminds me of is the whole Micheal Moore in Bowling for Columbine. You comment about it maybe not being so great for paintball equipment to show up at larger sporting good chain stores for cheap. It reminds me alot of Moore working at getting cheap ammo out of K-mart. Sure, he accomplished his goal. But how much of a decrease has there been in shooting related violence?

    But i agree with what you're trying to say, it's not wal-mart or it's low priced paintball equipment. It's people. You might ask why people choose paintball markers to deface public and private property as well as defenseless people and animals. I ask why people choose to partake in acts of vandalism to begin with.

    Having the paintball industry buttoning up it's shirt and trying to impact all this vandalism and crimes won't affect it much. As you said it yourself, at the big game and at Skyball, "professional" paintball players themselves were taking part in vandalism.

    I feel that whatever movement you are attempting against/for/with the paintball industry/community is, while wholesome and with good intentions, useless. Unless you get to the root of the problem, people/society, you and the paintball industry will have little or no effect on what's wrong with the world.

    -Victor13-

    P.s. Hopefully what i wrote makes sense. I don't tend to do my best thinking at 2 in the morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 18, 2005 4:16:00 AM  

  • Makes sense. The problem is that I see people wanting to make money rather than foster growth. It's frustrating to me, becasue it would be VERY easy to plunk down a few dollars per piece to discourage behavior, or have a program for media types to get information about PAINTBALL. But they won't get together and do it.

    To be honest, I just want to get people to think. That's the overall goal of this blog spot. And since nobody will publish stuff that's highly critical of the industry for fear of losing advertizers (it's always been that way) I'm taking my story to the masses.

    I'm not always right, but at least I'll get somoene to stop for a moment and think about the problems.

    By Blogger Rob "Tyger" Rubin, at Monday, July 18, 2005 4:22:00 AM  

  • I agree with you totaly. I'll admit that i used to own a wall mart special,and most of the time it wasnt used in paintball; if at all. I was 12 at the time so i didnt realy know. Nobody told me not to do it or anything like that. I kind of figured it out when my neibors house got splatterd with paint and there car got dented from the balls in the drive by. I realized that paintball was not for shooting things but for the game itself. After that i threw away the old plastic pump and bought a tippy 98c. Ive come a long way to my angel and I beleive ive done it responsible. After that incident with my neibor ive never shot at anything except for people in the game and target practice on my old out house in the yard(yea i have an out house in my backyard haha). My friends often ask my to take my paintball gun out with them and shoot some deer while "spotting". But i usualy say "I dont have any air" or "Dont have any balls". But now i think I'll tell them "its not cool to shoot animals and stuff with paintball guns".

    -`Chris`-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 18, 2005 7:15:00 PM  

  • I agree with most of you points though I must say I think it's futile. Paintball was damned from the begining to be used by vandals; what were markers orginally used for? Marking cattle and trees. I will admit the sport of paintball has evolved a lot from that point, but the idea of being able to shoot people/things/animals without a huge risk of permanent dammage, cheaply is a huge draw to vandals.
    Paintball has a noble cause but because it is played with guns and ammo it always will have a violent persona. I am going to write a letter to some local news stations and see if they will do a piece on propper paintball.
    Wow, I might not have accomplished anything here but it sure does feel good to say what I think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 18, 2005 9:16:00 PM  

  • I feel that media (at least here in upstate NY) is changing their idea over paintball. Last Halloween, a teen went around shooting people with a marker. He was arrested and it made the news. The media actually interviewed a local field owner and he made it crystal clear that this was an individual and that if they learn of anyone trying to purchase paintball equipment for means other then the sport, they will not sell it. Unfortantly, this has been the only case where the media put a positive spin on it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:20:00 AM  

  • Daddy's gonna love your site big time! He's so into this sports lately. He's got different kind of paintball funs and each weighs like a ton,I think. Thanks for sharing this with us. More power!

    By Anonymous paintball guns gear, at Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home